I was a special education teacher for 12 years. I worked 8:30 to 3 pm every day and had 12 weeks paid vacation. It was a really good job in that sense. In my position I was also lucky to not have to take a lot of work home with me. Yet, I found myself creating more work. Building better lessons, constantly improving, growing and developing. I would sit at my computer for countless hours going on Pinterest to find new ideas and make more activities for my students and lessons. It felt like I could create for hours upon hours and never have enough time to accomplish everything.
When I decided to leave teaching to become a coach, I found myself in the same boat. Spending hours upon hours creating new content, reading, studying, developing. There were never enough hours in a day and just when I thought I was starting to get caught up, I would take on another project. I was always running, always on the go and always striving with very little receiving.
I quickly realized that my “comfort zone” was striving without receiving.
Although we call it our comfort zone, our comfort zone is anything but comfortable. It’s just how we operate in our lives.
Where is your comfort zone?
- Do you tend to operate by going through the process (weight loss, relationships, jobs) and getting very little results?
- Do you continuously agonize over your lack of results? Blame yourself? Make yourself wrong? Live in victim mode?
- Do you get stopped by other’s choices? Tell yourself you can’t do things because others wouldn’t approve.
- Do you stick to what’s familiar and have no growth? Have you become resigned to things ever being different?
- Do you operate in a world of pleasure, having lots of things and doing lots of things but feel very little satisfaction?
- Do you continuously strive without receiving? Working all the time. Trying to do more and have more and get little in return.
Is being happy in life comfortable? I mean, living a life that no matter what happens you choose to be happy. This is rare and this is where I want all my clients to get to in their life and health.
The goal is for you to break free of your comfort zone. Your comfort zone is not right or wrong, good or bad, it’s just the way you have been wired to live your life. If you look, you will see this hasn’t been working for you. The harder you try, the more you struggle and stay stuck.
Nothing is broken and nothing needs to be fixed. You are perfect, whole and complete just the way you are, and you can want to up level and grow. Most of the time your comfort zone is blind to you. If you knew it was there, you would alter it!
You have a choice. You can continue to live in your comfort zone and keep doing what you’ve always done or you can take action to step outside of it and live a happy life! You can default to familiarity or you can grow. Familiarity and growth cannot co-exist. Constant growth is not healthy either. You must grow, relax, nourish and repeat.
If you are ready to step outside your comfort zone and discover for yourself ways to grow, relax and nourish your body and life, a coach will help you to put a plan in place to alter your comfort zone to live a happy life. After all, don’t you deserve to be happy?